- The Rationale for Semantic Technologies » AI3:::Adaptive Information
- Watson Goes Back to School - And what it tells us about the evolving role of semantic technology
In the traditional vision of AI, understanding flowed from perception through language to knowledge. It had always been envisioned that this understanding would be in some precise and unambiguous knowledge representation, and that all meaning processing would happen in this representation. This is the root of all semantic technology today. However, over time, the failure of the AI community to achieve this end-to-end vision made many, especially those in NLP, question the endpoint. In other words, to doubt the value of semantic technology. In this talk, we show that it was the vision, not the technology, that deserved to be doubted. Semantic technology has significant value in accomplishing tasks that require understanding, but it is not the endpoint.
- Pragmatic Approaches to the Semantic Web » AI3:::Adaptive Information
Semantic technologies are fundamentally about knowledge representation, not data transfer.
- Ora Lassila - Programming Semantic Web Applications: A Synthesis of Knowledge Representation and Semi-Structured Data
Dissertation for the degree of Doctor of Science in Technology
In the approach taken in this dissertation, it is proposed that RDF graphs can be exposed
through a node-centric (i.e., “frame system”) API. Central to this API is a slot access function
Alookup (f , s, G ): “given graph G , give me the values of slot s of frame f ”... This
basic API can be extended by supporting a query language which allows complex access
paths – expressed as regular expressions of slot names (i.e., RDF properties) – to be used
in place of atomic slot names.
- sl:creationDate : 2008-01-02
- sl:creationTime : 2008-01-02T15:47:21Z
- rdf:type : sl:Tag
- skos:altLabel : KR
- skos:prefLabel : Knowledge Representation