- The Rationale for Semantic Technologies » AI3:::Adaptive Information
- Watson Goes Back to School - And what it tells us about the evolving role of semantic technology
In the traditional vision of AI, understanding flowed from perception through language to knowledge. It had always been envisioned that this understanding would be in some precise and unambiguous knowledge representation, and that all meaning processing would happen in this representation. This is the root of all semantic technology today. However, over time, the failure of the AI community to achieve this end-to-end vision made many, especially those in NLP, question the endpoint. In other words, to doubt the value of semantic technology. In this talk, we show that it was the vision, not the technology, that deserved to be doubted. Semantic technology has significant value in accomplishing tasks that require understanding, but it is not the endpoint.
- sl:creationDate : 2012-07-31
- sl:creationTime : 2012-07-31T00:01:06Z
- rdf:type : sl:Tag
- skos:prefLabel : Semantic technology